Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Sorry it has been a while. I feel like to post on here I need to have something to say, and there is not a lot of major activity right now. I have been spending a good amount of time doing research on nutrition and pH and also looking at possible doctors. I have also scheduled an appointment with the genetic counselors and am working on finding a good re constructionist. The problem is that the good plastic surgeons in our area do not take our insurance. This means that instead of spending $4800 on medical bills this year, we could easily be spending over $9000 as anything my insurance company writes off before payments will fall on our tab. The cost of reconstruction alone is $15,000 to $20,000. CRAZINESS!

On another note, I spent a good hour this afternoon talking with one of the nurses at the cancer care center. She had a copy of the report from my MRI and we spent some good time going over it and talking about the findings. Basically, they didn't see anything on the MRI. Normally, when someone has high grade DCIS like mine the area of cancer will light up when they use the contrast dye. Both breasts lit up equally with no areas of concern. The diagnostic reads breast cancer based upon mammogram and biopsy. So really, the Lord could have healed me or they could have taken out the only cancer there was during the biopsy (the area they sampled had the largest group of calcifications) and we wouldn't know until after the mastectomy is done and the pathology reports come back. This is making me think that if I do go towards surgery that I should opt to start with a lumpectomy instead (especially with the problems I am having with reconstruction). The problem is that they will recommend radiation with a lumpectomy and I really don't want to do that; and I could end up going into surgery more than once if the cancer is there and they don't get clean edges. But once a mastectomy is done, there is no going back.

We'll see....

Love,
Megan

No comments:

Post a Comment